1 Feb 2016

D52 Queen's Gambit Declined: Cambridge Springs Variation (1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 d5 4.Nc3 c6 5.Bg5 Nbd7 6.e3 Qa5 7.Bd3)

D52 Queen's Gambit Declined: Cambridge Springs Variation (1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 d5 4.Nc3 c6 5.Bg5 Nbd7 6.e3 Qa5 7.Bd3)

The game I am sharing today is a very short one, this time I was the one who lost. Sometimes my brain just does not work properly, I tend to blame it on the fact that I have hit my head quite a lot of times, mostly when I was younger. These days it is very uncommon for me to do so, but it does happen to me even at this age. To be fair, I have not probably hit my head ever so hard that it would have done any actual damage, then again I used to be better at tactics when I was younger... These days I am mostly just too lazy to think that hard about different possibilities.

This game is really silly. I started the game with 1.c4, thinking that I can maybe play some line in the English for a change because I have been quite tired of facing the Sicilian Defense when I have started with 1.e4. Unfortunately I did not get to play a line that I would have been more comfortable of playing, but instead the game shifted towards a variation in the Queen's Gambit that I have very little or maybe no experience at all playing before. Now that I look at the opening phase, it kind of reminds me of the games I used to look at from José Raúl Capablanca and other players that played in the same period of time as him. The last time I looked any games like that was some years ago and unfortunately I did not see the resemblance to those games during this game. The move order in theory for this opening is 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Nbd7 5.Nf3 c6 6.e3 Qa5.

If the game below taught me anything, I will now look a little bit further before resigning a game. I resigned because I thought that I am losing a piece by force... My thought process was as follows, I looked that if I move the bishop to f4, for example, my opponent will take on c3 with the knight and I reply by capturing the knight with the b-pawn. After all of this, erimus will take the pawn on c3 with a check and at this point I did not find any good replies to that Qxc3+ because for some reason I thought I will lose either the c4 bishop or the a1 rook. For some reason I did not even consider Nd2 in that position. Nd2 would have kept the game in progress. Probably because of reasons similar to this, I have not been able to get all that good at chess... Well, occasionally I do seem to play at a level I am happy at, but it does not happen as often as I would like and I do not even see a simple tactic. All of this seems to point to the fact that I should do more tactical exercises. Whenever I have done them in the recent past, I have found out that in some positions I have no sense at all that there could be any tactical possibilities at all in the given positions. I really have to change that as soon as possible in order to get my ratings up again.

[Event "Sarah's Mini Cooper Tournament (No 52) -"] [Site "Chess.com"] [Date "2016.01.08"] [Round "?"] [White "Vierjoki, Timo"] [Black "erimus"] [Result "0-1"] [ECO "D52"] [WhiteElo "1813"] [BlackElo "2181"] [Annotator "Stockfish 7 64 POPCNT (30s), TV"] [PlyCount "16"] [EventDate "2016.??.??"] 1. c4 e6 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. d4 d5 {Black threatens to win material: d5xc4} 4. Nc3 c6 {Controls b5} 5. Bg5 Nbd7 6. e3 Qa5 {Queen's Gambit Declined: Cambridge Springs Variation} 7. Bd3 {D52 Queen's Gambit Declined: Cambridge Springs Variation} (7. Nd2 Bb4 8. Qc2 {Queen's Gambit Declined: Cambridge Springs Defense: Bogoljubov Variation}) (7. Nd2 dxc4 8. Bxf6 Nxf6 9. Nxc4 Qc7 {=}) 7... dxc4 {=} 8. Bxc4 Ne4 (8... Ne4 9. Bh4 Nb6 {=/+}) 0-1

No comments:

Post a Comment