24 May 2016

3 check B00 Goldsmith Defense

3 check B00 Goldsmith Defense

The game below is my second and at the moment last game of 3 check that I have played. This was played at lichess.org on May 22nd, 2016. I had to once again test the AI because I did not get any human opponents to play against me as fast as I would have liked. This second game had a much better start than the first one in my opinion. It did help that I was playing with the white pieces this time. I also wanted to win, so I thought I would play against AI level 5 that I have previously won in a chess960 game. Already based on the move 1...h5, I thought that this would be an easy game to win. The AI's second move did not impress me either, I thought that it opened the king for checks. Now that I think about it, maybe I should have played 3.Bb5+ and no matter how my opponent would reply, I would be able to give a second check in a row. Even if the AI would have responded with 3...c6, I could have replied with 4.Bxc6+ and I would be only one check away from winning the game. I would assume that I could get the last check relatively easily because I can sacrifice any piece if it just gives a check. However, I might be too optimistic and giving that last check to win the game might prove a lot trickier than I initially thought. 3.exd5 might actually be better than what I played in the game. I played 3.Bxd5 with the intention of taking the pawn on f7 on my next move if the AI does not stop it. I would have been rather disappointed if the AI would not have stopped my idea, the game would have been too easy at that point.

The next important position arose in my opinion after 9...c5. I did consider my options and I did look at 10.d5 as one of the options and while it seemed interesting, I went for 10.dxc5 instead because I thought that after 10...c4 in reply to 10.d5, my light-squared bishop would have a very limited scope. Therefore I wanted to keep its scope as good as possible. AI level 5 replied with 10...a4, which would have given me an interesting possibility to play 11.Bd5, but of course I did not think about that move at all during the game. On my 13th move I made the wierd looking move Kh1. Had this been a chess game, I would not have even considered that move, but as this is a 3 check game, I played 13.Kh1 in order to avoid the possible check with the knight. I think that 13.Qxd8+ would have been a much better move to make. Due to 13.Kh1 I got into some trouble and I thought for a long time that I will lose this second 3 check game of mine. However, as I saw that the AI was not interested in winning this game by checking my king three times, but instead win it like a chess game, I saw my chance. My knights became the star players of this game after I started to bring them closer to the enemy king. The knight maneuvers to check the king started on move 23. The a-pawn advanced all the way to a2, which restricted my pieces a bit. If this was a chess game, I would have been completely lost at this point. However, after I was able to get in the first check with 27.Nd6+, I was a bit more optimistic about my chances once again. This was mainly due to the fact that I was able to keep my opponent's king in the center and therefore I could threaten it more easily. The AI's last mistake was 30...Rh5 because after that it could not prevent me from getting the last two remaining checks. I have added one mate in one, two mate in three and two mate in four puzzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment