26 May 2016

Chess960 SP858

Chess960 SP858

The game below was a 10 minute game that I played at lichess.org. The first inaccuracy came from my opponent on move 2. The move d5 here is not good because I was able to reply with 3.e5. The move e5 gains more space and denies the option of developing the knight to f6, at least for the time being. Aseman replied with 3...Bd7, which might seem like the best square for the bishop at first, but it does block the rook, so that it no longer defends the pawn on d5. I do not think that moving the bishop was the right decision and my opponnent needed to move the bishop a couple of moves later in the game, in order to protect the pawn on d5. It was better to move the knight from c8 to b6 because b6 is the natural devloping square for the knight as the square d6 is covered with my pawn on e5. Even though the computer disagrees with my decision to play 4.g3, I kind of like it better than the suggestions it gives, though 4.Nd3 is something I might see myself playing if I were to end up in this position a second time.

The position may have fizzled out to a more equal position after my 7th move according to Stockfish, but I still prefer White in that position. This is mainly due to the bad bishop on c6. That being said, I thought it would be better if I can try and double the pawns on the c-file. My opponent did not allow me to take on c6 and double the pawns, but instead aseman played 8...Ne7. The next plan I had was to maneuver my other knight to a5, so that I can maybe get the pawns doubled if aseman does not prevent the idea. My opponent did not prevent my idea that consisted of me moving the same knight 5 times in a row. I very rarely move the same piece in a row multiple times this early in the game and I do not actually remember a time when I would have made a similar maneuver without moving anything else in the meantime. Unfortunately that knight maneuver and doubling of the pawns was not as useful as I initially thought and actually it was my opponent who started to get some play after I foolishly played my queen to a6 on move 16. Luckily for me, aseman did not play the best move that could have ended the game quite quickly in favor of my opponent. Aseman played 16...Nc4 instead of the much stronger alternative 16...Na4 that would have won some material. I was forced to reply with 17.b3 and then aseman blundered and played Na3+, which enabled me to get back into the game. The move 17...Na3+ was the start for the downhill that my opponent experienced and the final nail in the coffin was aseman's 20th move Na3, which lost a piece for free. I have added three mate in two, one mate in three and one mate in four puzzle today.

No comments:

Post a Comment