31 May 2016

Chess960 SP628

Chess960 SP628

The game below starts with a move that in my opinion might be a misclick because the move 1.c3 seems a bit odd to me and I would prefer 1.c4 instead. However, I might be wrong and my opponent might have wanted to play that move. When my opponent played 3.Ne3, it was the first time in the game that quickcastle handed over the advantage to me. Moves such as 3.f4 and 3.e4 should be looked at more closely as better alternatives to the move played in the game. Quickcastle went further astray on move 6. The move 6.Be3 gave me a good opportunity to increase my advantage from a slight one to a clearer one, but of course I played a passive reply to the move and as a result I lost a bit of my advantage. Had I played 6...f5, which threatened 7...f4, I could have gained some initiave. The game continued on without any real mistakes until it came time to play my 13th move. By far my 13th move was the worst move that had been played in the game so far. Actually it was so bad that I could have lost because of that blunder. I was already thinking that I do not like my position and I was worried about the move 14.f6, but I did not like the idea of taking on f5 with my pawn as it looked horrible. It was a bit desperate move from me to play 13...Bxg3 as I wanted my opponent to take back on g3 and I knew that if quickcastle plays 14.f6 instead, I would be in huge trouble. I was happy to see the reply 14.hxg3 and I thought that I still have a possibility to hang on in the game. I played 14...f6 because I did not want to play 14...exf5 in view of d5 gets weak. I may have even thought that quickcastle could have taken on d5. Taking on d5 immediately would have been impossible of course due to Qxe3+. I do not clearly remember anymore if I saw that during the game. The very sloppy play continued on my next move as I took on e6 with my queen. Then it was my opponent's turn to make one of the biggest blunders of the game. Quickcastle played 16.Qh5 allowing me to capture the undefended bishop on e3. At this point I thought I should be able to win this game. Like few other games I have recently played, in this game I also self-destructed and let the win slip away from my grap.

While I did remain on the winning side for a few moves, I could have made my life a lot easier had I played 17...f5 because it would have basically prevented the counterplay opportunities that quickcastle was able to get in the game continuation. In what was a difficult position for me, I threw the game away when I moved my king to e8 on move 21. Luckily my opponent played 22.Be4 because that gave me another chance to fight for a draw. On the next move quickcastle blundered again and I could have taken the advantage again, but instead I played the awful move 23...Re7 that would have handed the win to my opponent, had quickcastle not messed up on move 26. I was not able to keep the position even and played the game losing move on move 27. After that the game was really over. I have added two mate in one and three mate in three puzzles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment