29 Jan 2016

Chess960 SP186

Chess960 SP186

The game below was played at ChessRex between December 25th 2015 and January 17th 2016. Both players had 4 days to use for each of their moves. This was the 8th game I have played at the site and I have so far finished 9 games there, four chess960 games and five chess games. I have won all of them, but I think my first loss is fast approaching. Currently I have three games in progress there, two of which are chess960 games. The first move by both players could be seen also in a lot of chess games, but on my second move anyone seeing just the notation would realise that this is a chess960 game. There are probably a lot of good options to develop the pieces in this starting position, but I think that I moved my a-knight to the best square it can go from its starting square. I am not sure if my opponent's second move is a good one. I know that it is aggressive and tries to take the iniative by attacking my pawn on e4. The reason why I have my doubts about this move is that it blocks the pawn on d7 and may interfere with the bishops or at least restrict their options a bit. I reply to the threat to the pawn by moving the g-pawn to g3 and open the diagonal for my queen to protect the pawn. My opponent increases the pressure on the pawn with the move f5, to which I do not answer in the best possible way according to Stockfish anyway. The line it offers in this analysis to be better than the one I played is not really convincing to me. Even though Stockfish thinks that after 6...Qxf5 the position is equal, I would slightly prefer black at least with my first glance of the position.

The move 4...c6 made by ALZ112, did not make much sense to me in the game continuation especially when it took a long time for him to play the a-kinght to c7. Only after he had moved the c-pawn the second time on move 26, did he play his knight to c7. 4.fxe4 that the engine suggests does seem to be a better way to continue. Had ALZ112 taken on e4, he could have gotten the bishop pair and my queen would end up on potentialy shaky square e4. The game continues in rather balanced way until ALZ112 plays 7...Nf7 after which I start to gain some real advantage. I am mostly able to maintain my advantage as clear or winning until I play the rather weak and sloppy move 16.Bh3. The game continuation allows me to gain some advantage again, but I am almost throwing it away again when I play 18.Qf3. From move 19 onwards my play gets more consistent and I did not lose my advantage during the rest of the game anymore. I have added one mate in two, two mate in three and two mate in four puzzles today. Until Monday, my fellow chess and chess960 enthusiasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment