15 Jan 2016

Chess960 SP515

Chess960 SP515

I played two chess960 games today, out of which only this second one can be posted here at this time. Maybe I can get around the problem that I have with that other game, but for now I can't do that. The game below starts with my opponent opening the long diagonal for the bishop on h1. I thought about mirroring my opponent's play, but then I thought it better to take the center under my control instead. Then on move 3, I make a dumb mistake. I protected my e-pawn by playing g6, which does protect the e-pawn, but I did not consider the fact that xfqybxtr2 can play dxe5, which also threatens the d-pawn with both the bishop on h1 and the queen on d1. For some reason my opponent does not take on d5 even though he or she could have taken that pawn for a couple of moves. I did see the possibility of losing that d-pawn right after my opponent played 5.dxe5.

The game went along without all that much of a balance shift to either way until my opponent played 10.Bf3. I am not at all certain what was the reason behind this move. I did not reply to my opponent's move in the most accurate way, but my move was not that bad either. I played 11...c5 because I wanted to push the knight back, so that my knight could go to f5 and attack the e3 square. After my knight landed on f5, I thought that I was on the better side of things. The problem for white is how to protect the pawn on e3. Actually, I do not think it is even possible. Playing 15.e4 was an interesting idea by my opponent to keep the material balance. At first I thought that it would save my opponent due to the fact that if the following continuation 15...dxe4 16.Nxe4 Bxe4 17.Bxe4 Qxe4 takes place, my opponent could play 18.Qxd7 and the material would be even. What I did not see then was that I could reply 18.Qxd7 with 18...Rbd8 and I should be in a clearly winning position. Because I only thought that line up to 18.Qxd7 and did not see it being good enough continuation, I decided to play 16...Rbd8 in order to protect the knight and threaten some discoveries on the d-file and have that piece winning threat of Bxe4 also in the air. Xfqybxtr2 replied with N2c3 which was I guess the best that white can do at this point. Then I played Nf6 attacking both the queen and the knight on e4. My opponent defended against the threats with the move Qe2, which allowed my knight to jump on d4, which then forked the queen and the bishop. I thought that when the queen moves, I will take the bishop and then I take on e4 and I have won a piece and the game would become rather easy to play after that. That did not happen and the move my opponent chose made things even easier for me and the game ended to xfqybxtr2's resignation on move 20. I have added one mate in two, one mate in three, two mate in four and one mate in five puzzle today. Until Monday, my fellow chess and chess960 enthusiasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment