5 Jan 2015

Chess960 SP50

Chess960 SP50

As I was not able to find a new opening variation to cover, I had to come up with something different. Actually I have waited to post my Chess960 also known as Fischer Random games for quite a long time now. I have played only 14 games of Chess960 in my life but I have enjoyed every single one, not only because I am at the moment still unbeaten in it... I have won twelve and played two draws so not a perfect score but it is probably better than I could have ever hoped to achieve. As I can't really sort these Chess960 games by opening, I will sort them by starting position. We will see if I add more of my Chess960 games tomorrow or have I found a normal chess game where there is an opening that I have not yet covered. I found while searching the internet a database for Chess960 games and used it as a reference database but as there was only less than 2000 games in it, there was not a single one that had this starting position played or nobody played the move I chose for move one. I still have some Chess960 games in progress and probably I will start more of those as soon as my game load drops enough. I have added a game in the following posts A15 English Opening: Anglo-Indian Defense. Mikenas-Carls Variation, A30 English Opening: Symmetrical Variation. General, C64 Ruy Lopez: Classical Defense and A10 English Opening: General. I have also done some updating on the analysis of some games in the posts A36 English Opening: Symmetrical Variation. Botvinnik System and A10 English Opening: Anglo-Dutch Defense, the games that had updated analysis is told in the text above the game. I have also added five puzzles divided in to mate in one, two and three pages.

The game below was played in the round one of Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. It turns out there are only two games left in the first round and both feature me... This tournament had 100 players when it started and players were divided into 5 player groups. Two players from each round advance to the next one. I have to say though that even though my group is only one that has not finished yet, the two people who advance have been decided already.

Game number two. Like the game above, this was also played in the first round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. Only one game remains in round one and guess whose game that is... Yeah, it is my other game against this same opponent. From each round two players advance to the next round and I have secured my place to the second round at this point. The only thing now matters is that I do not mess up my good streak at Chess960. Second player to advance in my group has already been decided aswell but the tournament can't continue until the final game is finished.

Game number three. This was also played in the first round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. All games in round one in my group were from the same starting position. Not sure if there were different starting positions in other groups or was this same used in every single game on round one.

Game number four. Like the other games in this post this was played in the same tournament. I will repost my other Chess960 games with analysed versions here since it seems to work?? At least I have not figured out the problem yet... Maybe there is one but I do not see it, just like I do not see tactics :-P

Game number five. The game below was played in the first round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. I won six games on round one, played one draw and lost one game, the only loss obviously being the game below. With the score of 6,5 points I ended up winning group 2 because my Tie Break was better than arikbikman who came second in the group. As two of the best players from each round will advance to the next round, we both advanced to the second round. I have two games left to play on round two and it seems that I will advance from this round aswell. I am on second place in group 7 but I have better maximum possible score than the current leader, orkan11.

Game number six. This was played on the second round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II that is held at Chess.com. I am currently on first place in group #7 and I have won six games and drawn one game in the seven games that I have finished. I think my one remaining game will not change the fact that I will win the group, of course if I get at least a draw in the remaining game I will be the clear winner of the group as I would have more points than anyone else in the group. My first place is only due to a tie break at the moment. My opponent in this game is on second place and orkan11 has 6,5 points like me. The only difference is the tie break and also the fact that I have still one game to finish but orkan11 has finished all his games. I will keep playing on third round and it would seem this same starting position will be even more familiar to me after that round.

Game number seven. This was played in the second round of Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. I am still leading the group #7 and I still have one game left to finish that will determine the way I advance to the third round. It would be nice to be unrivaled winner of the group but we will see what happens.

Game number eight. Like all the other games in this post, this was also played in the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II and this game is taken from the second round of that tournament. I have still one game to finish in this round and it is also the last game of this round. Which will mean that as soon as that game finishes, my game load will increase a bit again. There are some games in progress that could end at any given time, so that could help me out a bit if they finish before the next round in this tournament starts.

Game number nine. I won the game below on time. It was played on the second round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. I am on first place currently and I have scored 6,5 points in 7 games, with one more game to finish, I am likely to win the group and advance to the third round. Because two players will advance to the next round, also orkan11, who is on second place will continue to the third round because there is no way anyone can drop him to third place anymore.

Game number ten. With this game I have gone through every correspondence chess and chess960 game that I have played at Chess.com so far. This was played in the second round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. I am leading group #7 and unless something unexpected happens, I will also win that group. My final game of this round is against Oggi60 and it is also the last game in progress in the whole round. This game was added to this post July 14th 2015.

Game number 11. The game below was the last one to end on round two and with this win I secured a clear first place on group 7. I also won my fist round group, but that was only decided with tie break. On the first round I scored 6.5 points out of the possible 8 and on this second round I received a better result as I scored 7.5 points out of the possible 8. The amount of points I will gather on round three will be somewhat less because there is one player less in the group than on previous rounds. Of course the opponents I face on round three should also be tougher than the previous opponents that I have faced in this tournament.

Game number 12. This was played on round three of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. This and my other game with Surt123 ended with only one day separating them. Both games ended with less than 20 moves played in a somewhat silly way. In the game below I was worried a lot of moves, but I did not even consider the Bc5+ at all. When I saw my opponent's move, I immediately knew the game should end there. I can't believe how stupid my moves sometimes are. Well, I have always thought that every game is just a preparation for the next game and if I can at least learn something from each game, I should be doing well.

Game number 13. The game below was not much longer than my other game against Surt123 in this third round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. At least I managed to win one of my games against this player, who is currently leading group #1. Surt123 has already played all of his games on this round and this was the only loss he suffered. He has secured his place on the next round, but it is not yet clear who is the second player to advance from this group. I have the possibility to tie Surt123 on points if I am able to win all my three remaining games which would obviously mean that I would be the other player to advance to the next round. I do not need to win all my games to secure my place on the fourth round, but it would be nice to do so anyway.

Game number 14. This was played on the third round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. This is maybe one of the most embarrassing losses from the games that I have recently finished. It is embarrassing because I was actually winning in the last position. I was so annoyed at the time I saw my opponent's move Rf8+ and thought that my queen falls that I even did not consider that my opponent can't take the queen because of mate... I also messed my another game against KammounAmine, but that game ended in a draw. I finished third in group #1 and I was only able to gather 2.5 points out of the 6 possible points. KammounAmine finished second on the group with 3.5 points and advanced to the fourth round. There are only six players left in the tournament and they have been divided into two groups of three. Winners of those two groups will decide the winner of the tournament on round five.

Game number 15. The game below was played on the third round of the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II that is being held at Chess.com. I pretty much messed up half of the games on this round with silly mistakes. I finished third on group #1 and I was thus eliminated from the rest of the tournament. On the first two rounds I won the groups I was in rather easily, well on the first round I shared the win, but due to tie-break I was first in the final standings of group #2 on round one.

Game number 16. The game below was my last game in the Sarah's Chess960 Tournament No II. It was played on round three and had I won this game, I would have tied my opponent, KammounAmine, in points, which would have secured my place on round four. However, I did mess up both of my games against KammounAmine due to a couple of mindless moves I made. I was on third place in the final standings of this group 1. The best two players advanced to the next round from each group and in my group, those two players were Surt123 and KammounAmine. I had advanced to this third round by winning both the first and second round groups, so the fact that I was eliminated from the tournament on this round was really disappointing for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Timo, I'm a Chess960 fan that keeps a database of most if not all competition games played in Chess960. You can find it here:

    http://chess960jungle.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/chess960-database-complete-games-2001.html

    I searched for games with your starting position bnnrqbkr which is actually SP50.

    Turns out there have been four competition standard games played with that start. Two of those were played in the ICCF World Cup preliminaries 2011 and ended in 7 moves for some weird reason. The players found that you can fork the queen and bishop by playing Nxc7! There were two more games that ended in draws. I'll talk to you about it over at your Chess.com blog.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello HarryO, thank you for the comment! I actually got that database yesterday and only today searched the same starting position as in this game of mine. None of those four games had the same opening move as in my game, so unfortunately those games did not come in my game notation.

    ReplyDelete