27 Nov 2015

Chess960 SP711

Chess960 SP711

Instead of the normal one game in the new post, there are now two because it made sense to post these two games at the same time. The second site that I visited for the first time three days ago was lichess.org. After I started to play there I noticed at least one thing that I had not seen on any other site before, the starting position for chess960 is shown while you play, which is a great thing because now if I play there I do not need to figure out the starting position on my own after the game. Sure it is not that hard to check the starting position for each game afterwards, but this saves me some time and that is always a good thing. Both of these games are 10 minute games and it really seems to be a good time control for me to use on this variant.

Both lichess.org and ChessRex.com (the sites I played chess960 three days ago) seem to use similar idea for downloading the games you have played there. As far as I can tell, when you download the games, it automatically downloads all your games, which can be great or bad, depending on how you look at it. It is somewhat inefficient if you just want to download your latest game. There might be a way to do that as well, but I am new to both sites, so I do not know all of this stuff just yet. Then again you could just replace the old database with a new one every time. I am not sure what I think about that just yet, but it might be better than some of the options that are given on other sites I have played where you can select which games you download, but there is a limit on how many you can download at a time. I am also not sure why on almost every site the pgn-file that is created from those downloaded games has the chess960 variant in a way that Chessbase does not understand it. Now if there are different ways that different chess programs understand the variant name in the pgn-file, I think that is something that should be a standard, so that no matter what program you used, it would still be able to understand the pgn-file, without the need for the user to modify the file in order for it to work. Also my problem that I told about in the post yesterday has been fixed, it seemed that I needed a bit of fixing, I caused the problem on myself. I talked about my problem to the programmer of the site and after that little chat I realised what I had done wrong. I have added one analysed game to the following posts: D00 Queen Pawn Game: General, A06 Zukertort Opening: Old Indian Attack, A20 English Opening: King's English Variation. General and A30 English Opening: Symmetrical Variation. General. I have also added two mate in three, one mate in four and two mate in six puzzles today.

Game number two. This was a rematch that my opponent challenged me into. It was actually a good thing that the rematch used the same starting position, it gives both players the opportunity to play on both sides of that starting position. Some starting positions might seem to favor one side more than the other, or so I have thought occasionally when I have played chess960.

No comments:

Post a Comment