21 Dec 2015

Chess960 SP384

Chess960 SP384

The game below was played at lichess.org and it was not a rated game, but instead a casual game. Both players had 5 minutes as the basic time and with each move both players received additional 8 seconds to the clock. The game started with both players activating their bishops that have their target set to the enemy king from the start. On move three we start to get different ideas and while my opponent also puts his or her queen on the a1-h8 diagonal, I activate my knights. Kirill1986 starts to get a great position with more space and an attack and is probably close to winning after my blunder 15...Qg4. I was surprised to see on move 19 that my opponent played Nxf6+ instead of taking the rook on f8. Even though the rook is passive on f8 and is a couple of moves away from activating, it would have been better to take the material advantage instead of the positional advantage. After that I felt I can hang on in the game again especially because I started to get my pieces more active than my opponent. After the exchanges on f5 that allowed my opponent to play 33.Re4 I face rather problematic situation again because I must put my king on f8 to prevent the rook from getting into my side of the board. After that I can only move my own rook for the most of the time. When Kirill1986 played 40.Kf2 and allowed me to play g5 in response, I started to get some activity to my rook again. I thought it to be probably insufficient counterplay, but I had to see how the game would progress. After I saw the position after Kirill1986 had played 48.Rxc5, I thought that I would lose the game now. It did turn out to be easily drawn endgame for me instead. I offered a draw to my opponent somewhere earlier and he or she was probably right not to accept the offer at that point as Kirill1986 was on better side at that point in the game. I have added two mate in three, one mate in four and two mate in five puzzles today. I have also added one analysed game to my post C41 Philidor Defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment