29 Dec 2015

Chess960 SP672

Chess960 SP672

Today I played at lichess.org once again with the 10 minute and 10 second increment time controls. The game starts with a huge blunder on my part. I only wanted to develop my bishops and did not even look what my opponent was threatening. It was silly of me, but I did continue on because my opponent was rated 1289 and I was rated 1799... I thought that my opponent's rating had to be low for some reason or the other, so I played on and tried to take advantage of any mistakes that I could see my opponent do. After I saw the move 4.Qb2, I initially thought that I am in huge trouble and that the game will not last long. I thought that 4...Ng6 has no chance of prolonging the game because my opponent might just play 5.Qg7 though after 5...Nf6 I might barely hang on. My position looks pretty depressing after the move 6...hxg6 and the possibility for a huge upset is in the air. On move 9 my opponent finally makes a mistake I can take advantage of and get at least a pawn back. Not sure why my opponent played 8.Ng5, it does not seem to do anything. On move 9 I anticipated the move Ne3, which would have been much better than the move played in the game because that move protects the pawn on g2. That being said, my opponent has almost all of her or his pieces developed on move 10, while I have only one bishop developed.

Then on move 11 whewell blunders and I get more material back. Knights are quite weak protecting each other and I took advantage of that fact with the move 11...f6. I think whewell should have played 12.Nxf6+ next, I thought that it would have been the better pawn to take during the game. After 12...Bxd6 material is even though not the same material for both sides, I have the bishop pair in exchange for the rook and a pawn. Around this time my opponent starts to self-destruct. While 14.Rxg6 is interesting, it is a huge blunder after the reply 14...Kf7. Had I moved the bishop instead, then 14.Rxg5 would have been a good move, because whewell could have taken on g8 with a check next. I had to be careful on the game continuation because there were tactical possibilities still for my opponent. The move 16...f5 was necessary to avoid the queen h7+ which would have made the game more difficult for me again. I think that 22.e4 is a mistake though it is hard to offer better moves for white at that point. Had I just taken the pawn by 22...fxe4, it probably wins as well, but makes the game unnecessarily hard. After the horrible 23.exf5?? it is clear that I am going to win because either the queens are exchanged or I am going to mate my opponent. Both continuations are easy wins though the queen exchange at least prolongs the game for a bit. I have added one analysed game to the following posts: B84 Sicilian Defense: Scheveningen Variation. Classical Variation, C89 Spanish Game: Marshall Attack. General, C02 French Defense: Advance Variation. Paulsen Attack and C45 Scotch Game: Schmidt Variation. I have also added two mate in one, one mate in three and two mate in four puzzles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment