25 Dec 2015

Chess960 SP627

Chess960 SP627

The game below was again played at lichess.org. It was played as a 10 minute game with a 10 second increment. This somewhat short game ended in a wierd way. During the game I thought I was winning and when my opponent resigned, I thought that it was how the game should have ended. However, after the game when I put the computer to analyse this game, I noticed a peculiar fact, my opponent resigned in a position where he had a mate in one. He still had over four minutes on the clock when the game ended, so if he would have just thought a little bit longer, he would have won the game. I did think that my king has very few squares it can go to, but I did not see that if my opponent just plays Na7+ it is also mate... Somehow my brain just not registered that at all and luckily my opponent did not see that either. If I ever have won a game with luck, this certainly qualifies as one example. I was happily playing the moves, thinking that I have a good position and then on move 16 I thought about either Qe5 or c5. I decided to play Qe5 because then the threat of c5 is very strong or so I thought anyway. I did not think that Bxd6 is all that bad for me, though earlier I was worried about the knight jumping to b5. Of course I was completely ignoring my opponent's possibilities. For two moves, my opponent could have played Na7# which would have been a nice mate and it is very surprising that neither player saw it. I have added two analysed games to my post Chess960 SP50 and one analysed game to the following posts: Chess960 SP33, Chess960 SP369 and Chess960 SP878. I have also added one mate in three and four mate in four puzzles. Until Monday, my fellow chess and chess960 enthusiasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment